Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler

I can't believe it's been more than a month since I've updated this thing. If you still check in on this that often, you're a champ. If you are just stumbling across my blog for the first time, thanks for checking in.

It's hard to believe that I've been at my current job for more than a year now. Yesterday was my one-year anniversary. Of course, I've had a few other issues to take care of during that time so it has gone by a little faster (yet slower in an odd way) than I had ever imagined.

As many of you know, the biggest side effect from my radiation treatment has been the fatigue. January turned out to be a real turning point for me and since then I've been gaining more and more energy. Somewhere around January or February, I decided that I would run the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler here in Washington, D.C. I haven't run a 10-miler since April 2002, and here I am four years later trying it again on April 2, 2006. More importantly, I'm about nine months removed from my last surgery and six months removed from my radiation and chemo. Who'd of thunk it?

Something about me that you need to know is that I don't necessarily enjoy running. Every time I go out I wonder how my body, and more importantly my mind, will respond. The human body can withstand more than you think and this is just one way to push myself to do more than I want or think I can. Plus, there is something about the adrenaline you get from running a distance race with 10,000 other people. It's "easy" at the beginning and at the end, but it's the middle part that's so hard.

Anyway, the race is this Sunday morning at 8 a.m. EDT (don't forget to turn your clocks forward an hour). I've been training for the last couple months but have battled two flu viruses during that time so I'm not entirely confident of my performance. My hope is to finish it in 90 minutes but we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure yet but I may be able to provide a link that will allow you to follow my progress during the race if you are so inclined to follow it on Sunday morning. If not, then I'll just let you know how I did later that day.

Be back soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home