Sunday, June 26, 2005

Waiting

Well, not much new has happened over the past week. I completed all my pre-op stuff the week before and so this week has just been getting my things in order. I joke about feeling like I'm getting ready for vacation but in a way it is an apt description. Most people wouldn't know what it feels like to get things ready for being out-of-commission for a couple weeks, but everyone knows what it is like in the days leading up to a vacation. So at work I try to close up as many projects as possible and then find people who can carry the load while I'm out. It also means that since I'm going to be confined to my apartment for a while, I need to make sure that it is clean. Very boring, but I'm pretty sure that I'll appreciate it when the time comes. Of course, this has nothing to do with my mom coming out here to help me during my recovery.

So my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon at 4:30. I'm no expert, but isn't that kind of late in the day to start a 3-hour procedure? I mean, I don't even like to go to the barber when it's close to quitting time because I know he's gotta be thinking about what he is going to do when he gets home! But anyway, I can't really worry about that stuff, the guy performing the surgery is the chair of the Head and Neck department at the hospital, so he must know his stuff! I'll just worry about what I can control and trust the doctors to do what they've been trained to do. So with the surgery at 4:30, I'll need to show up by 2:30 to be admitted, fill out more forms (my favorite), get dressed in one of those trendy hospital gowns or whatever it is, get pricked with a few more needles, and then go under. I wish I could could just go under first.

It is no surprise that again my friends/family are coming through for me. As I already mentioned, my mom is coming out here and will get here Tuesday morning. Friends college as well as from previous jobs (including the House, Senate, and campaign) and friends from my current job have really been coming through for me in a way that I can never repay. One thing is for certain: experiences like this one really demand a review of priorities and drives home the things in life that are really important.

I'll try to post at least once more before the big day. Then after that you won't hear from me for a while, at least until I'm back home and hopefully "resting comfortably" as they say. If you don't hear from me before the surgery, I just want to say thanks to all of you out there who have been reading my blog, praying for me, sending me cards, or just sending good vibes my way. It all is much appreciated and I look forward to passing it on when the time comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home