Monday, May 23, 2005

Statesmanship is Alive

I'm not sure how many of you have been paying attention to what's been going on in the Senate for the past few years, but since I had the honor and privilege of working there for a while I like to pay attention to what is going on there. That, and the fact that they are my elected representatives has something to do with it, too. Anyway, there's been a lot of things going on in the U.S. Senate about judges with lots of charges being leveled on both sides.

It all centers on a few judges that haven't been yet confirmed in the Senate. Actually, the problem is that they haven't even been brought up for a vote. Basically, the Republicans have been unable to invoke cloture--limiting debate--and force a vote. The only way to invoke cloture is by garnering 60 votes. Now I'm not a lawyer or even a constitutional expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know that it was not intended that this 60-vote threshold was intended for judicial nominees. It goes along with the "advise and consent" stuff that you hear a lot about in this business that applies only to treaties and confirmations of judges, cabinet-level advisors, etc. Basically, the rule was being systematically abused recently for the first time in the Senate's 200+ years of history. Both sides were calling the moves by the other "unprecedented" and in a way they were both right. But this is not about finding fault. Instead, this entry is about the art of compromise...actually, just an expression of appreciation to 14 Senators that were able to make a deal that would not grind the Senate's work to a halt while further polarizing the political climate in our country today.

I must say that I gained a newfound respect for Senator Byrd today. I've thought the guy was crazy for as long as I can remember, even if he did understand the Constitution better than probably anyone else on the face of the planet. He, along with Senators Warner, McCain, Pryor, Nelson and 9 others, basically averted any unnecessary alterations (nothing too threatening, just political in nature) to the Constitution and brought back the ability to work together. Basically, it pushed the Senate closer to being what it truly is supposed to be as the world's greatest deliberative body.

Closer...for a brief moment. Between the time that I heard that a deal had been struck that prevented what Republicans called the "Constitutional" option and what Democrats called the "nuclear" option to eliminate filibusters on judicial nominees--anyway, between that time and the time that I got home from the office, it was back to partisan politics as usual. Senator Boxer from California was speaking and already it sounded like my CSPAN-2 was back to political speeches right there on the floor of the Senate.

Many of you out there who I have spoken with about my experiences in the Senate already know that I am not a fan of TV cameras in the Senate Chamber. I am all for open government but I think in the Senate, TV's are a mistake. The Senate was especially designed to transcend political party and be able to make reasoned decisions without the worry of political fallout--that's why Senators serve 6-year terms instead of 2-year terms like they do in the House. It acts as a sort of insulation against the current political climate and allows them to make the right decisions even if they are not the most politically popular. So why am I opposed to TV's in the Senate Chamber? Because they have reduced the Senate speeches (many of them) to mere soundbites. I hate soundbites. In this world of sensory overload, all we have time for it seems are soundbites. Basically, they are tiny bits of information presented as if it is the entire argument. Anyway, that's how I feel about that.

So Senator Boxer was back on the floor of the Senate trying to get as many last-minute attacks on Janice Rogers Brown (who will now be confirmed soon thanks to the deal) in before the end of her 25 minutes allowed and all she did was produce soundbites. No substantive argument, just trying to get the last word in on the argument--it actually reminded me of...well...me, when I was about 10 years old.

Oh well, it was a good day for the Senate. And regardless of how soon they go back to their partisan wrangling it was nice for a reprieve even if only for a couple hours.

Okay, sorry for the long entry, and this was actually more for me than for you. I know that it doesn't read very well, but it felt good to write it anyway. Sorry if it was confusing.

On that note, I'm signing off for the night.

Oh yeah, we won our softball game tonight in fine fashion: 12-11. It was a nail-biter.

Two days to my doctor's appointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home