Monday, May 16, 2005

National Race for the Cure

I'm trying to stay as active as I can before my radiation begins (probably next month--in June). One of the things that has been my responsibility at my job at the USDA is coordinating our team that will be running in the National Race for the Cure. Naturally, I'm going to run the 3.1-mile race not just because it's good for me to get exercise (especially now) but also because it is for a really good cause. Anyway, I'm raising a small amount of money toward this event. My personal goal is only $50 just because I know that I'm not going to spend much time raising money for this when I've got all this other stuff going on. Additionally, I have no idea how much I'd be able to raise even if I did try and I can always change my goal--those are a couple of reasons why I'm starting low. If I need to revise it upward, then I can. So with all that said, I would be ecstatic if you decided to contribute even a little bit--the good news is that your contribution would be tax-deductible.

In addition to listing some information below about the event, here is the link to my race home page where I raise money: http://race.nationalraceforthecure.org/site/TR?px=1081065&pg=personal&fr_id=1000


This is from their website (www.nationalraceforthecure.org):

What: The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation National Race for the Cure® is a 5K run/walk hosting more than 52,000 participants in 2004. The Race will return to the streets of the Nation's Capital on Saturday, June 4, 2005.

Background:The Komen National Race for the Cure® has grown from 7,000 participants in 1990 to over 52,000 participants in 2004. The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died of breast cancer at the age of 36.
Today, it is an international organization with more than 75,000 volunteers and 100 Komen Race for the Cure® events across the country and internationally. Since its inception, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation has funded more than 1,000 research projects. The Foundation remains the nation’s largest private provider of funds for breast cancer research and community outreach programs.

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home