Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Moving In Sans Furniture

I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned this at some point, but its importance bears mentioning again that this is my first apartment that is my own. Ever since I started college--with the exception of one year that I was an RA, a really fun year, by the way (shout-out to the Page B Girls here! Especially the ones that have been reading my blog.)--anyway, ever since I started college, I've shared a room or at least an apartment with someone. So even though my studio is quite small, and it isn't much to look at, and I've only got an air mattress for furniture so far...despite all that, I love it! It's very close to the Metro and that allows me to have easy access to any number of points in the city and in Virginia. This benefit cannot be underestimated. The best part about it, however, is that I can do whatever I want without worrying about waking up, harrassing, or otherwise annoying a roommate. And if there is a mess that I gotta work around, I know who is responsible and I can't blame anybody but me!

So after signing the lease on Saturday, I spent Sunday afternoon after church working to move all 4 of my bags into my studio. I was exhausted mainly because of how many things had been going on around me so I didn't do much after that on Sunday. On Monday, however, I got up early and did a ton of "move-in" shopping. You know the kind I'm talking about where you must buy EVERYTHING essential to daily living (like toilet paper--is that too much information?). Anyway, I pretty much knocked it out in one day (with some help) which I was quite proud of since it involved 4 stores. The Dollar Tree, Target, Costco, and Harris Teeter are all essential places to visit when you are moving into a new apartment. Needless to say, I had to spend a lot of money for all my dishes, silverware, pots, pans, and other miscellaneous kitchen items. I've had to spend even MORE time, however, trying to fit it all into my extremely small kitchen. And I've had to spend even more time than that cleaning up all the kitchen items (not the groceries) before using them. It was, however, a very gratifying experience to have my first homemade meal sitting in my sparsely furnished apartment even if the "meal" consisted of some leftovers I had acquired a few days earlier being put in the microwave. I did make a salad though, so that's gotta count for something! (For the record, that is probably the only time that a 26-year-old male will be proud of himself for making a salad for dinner--I tell ya, cancer makes you do funny things sometimes!)

Anyway, that is a brief overview of what has been happening lately. I still need to update you all on my adventures with the dry cleaners, my rusty silverware, and most importantly, my new job that I started yesterday. I think I've mentioned it already, but I'm working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. So I've got a lot to tell you all about the new job!

And eventually, I promise we'll get to fun items like what kind of medical insurance I have and even more exciting than that is what the doctors will say when I go to visit them for the first time!

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home