Monday, April 11, 2005

Rest In Peace

I don't even know how to begin this entry.

Many of you know that part of my young career has included just over a year of working in the United States Senate. It was a wonderful experience and the people I had the pleasure of working with embodied every aspect of civil servanthood on a daily basis. Without pause, I can say that you will not find a harder-working group of dedicated individuals who love their country and their fellow citizens.

As a mere twentysomething, I know already that it is one of those times that will forever be cemented in my life story as a high point and a unique experience.

Today, while speaking with a very dear friend who still works in the Senate (I have since moved on), I was informed that a mutual friend and former colleague who was one of those people--giving his all on a daily basis--was diagnosed with kidney cancer around Christmastime 2004. When the cancer was discovered, it was in the final stage (Stage 4) and had already begun the horrible process of metastasis (transfer of a disease to one part of the body to another). Of course it originated in the kidneys, but soon after infected his lungs, and then his brain. I was shocked and saddened to learn of his April 2 passing just today.

In addition to the smorgasbord of emotions that are never too far off when learning of something like this, I just couldn't help but think of how unfair this physical life can be sometimes. My heart aches for his family and goes out to them in the pain they are going through. I pray that God will give them the strength to carry on in such unimaginable hardship. The profound difference he made in the lives of those around him will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home